Subject: Re: Digital Camera, Scanner and NetBSD
To: None <sudog@sudog.com>
From: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/26/2002 23:19:01
On 26-Jan-02 sudog@sudog.com wrote:
> Problem with Canon powershot G1: It's way too expensive for "normal"
> hobbyists. And while the lens is removable, if you're not careful bits
> of dust can easily pop in there and gum up the works in horrible ways.
> does the lens come off and leave the ccd array exposed? photo.net
> bitches endlessly about those kinds of cameras. Other than this, I'm
> really impressed with G1's photographic quality. Beautiful, sharp
> colours!

No.. the lenses work via an adaptor that fit over the normal lens, the normal
lens is never removed, and never exposes the interior.

If you want to see some examples of photography with it,
http://www.garbled.net/chris/ and http://www.garbled.net/reef/ .  Worth noting
is that both me and my wife are complete amatures, and have no idea how to use
a camera.  :)

> So! Believe it or not, I was looking at the G1 but it was just a bit
> more than I was willing to pay for my first digital. :) It's a
> beautiful camera--is the USB comm stuff proprietary for that camera?

It's worth every penny.  Note the G1's came down in price significantly since
the G2 came out.  Also, the USB stuff works perfectly with netbsd, otherwise I
wouldn't be able to use my camera.  :)

Now I need to pick up the macros lenses for mine..  My wife used the telephoto
lens kit to take pictures of a parade, very impressive.  mmm.. spending.  The
ability to replace the lenses is worth it's weight in gold..  believe me.

---
Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
NetBSD supported hardware database: http://mail-index.netbsd.org/cgi-bin/hw.cgi