Subject: Re: OT: Wireless networking help
To: Andy R <quadreverb@yahoo.com>
From: paul beard <paulbeard@mac.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/26/2002 14:43:40
Andy R wrote:

> So what's the best way to do this? I was looking at
> wireless access points (WAPs), but I am a bit
> confused. Can I just buy 2 of these things and plug
> one into his hub and one into my hub and keep humming
> right along (in other words, a wireless uplink)? Or do
> I have to buy one WAP and one wireless card (that I'm
> not sure are supported with NetBSD) and set up a
> gateway at my house to his network? He runs nat on a
> 192.168.x.x network through a firewall to the DSL
> router. I was hoping to just add my machines to his
> 192.168.x.x network.

I am using (right now) a cisco aironet 340 PC card in my laptop
with NetBSD 1.5.2: works fine most of the time. The card whines
about signal quality and I do get slow connections some times (I
have heard rumors that aironets are not fully 802.11b compliant:
anyone?)

If you're with 150 feet of his access point, you should be OK:
depends on your defintion of "next door." In urban Seattle, it's
about 15 feet . . . ;-)