Subject: Re: Is netbsd fully multitasking environment?
To: Sung N. Cho <sucho2@vt.edu>
From: David S. <davids@idiom.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/26/2002 14:24:17
> still lacking in other OS's.  However, when I try to play even very simple
> graphical displays (for example, enabling graphical displays in xmms) NetBSD
> is very slow!  The graphical displays of xmms is very slow!  In gnome, when I
> enable the esd meter on while playing xmms, everything plays in slow motion.
> kde's mediaplayer, noatun gets choppy just playing music.  Is it the
> compatibility issue or do I need to tune my system?
>
> My system is 500Mhz/128M RAM.

Try running your X applications with a lighter weight window manager,
'twm', 'ctwm', or whatever.  You'll probably find that they run better.
'Gnome' and 'kde' use up a lot of system resources - to no useful end,
as far as I'm concerned.  If you want to use 'gnome', 'kde', and their
associated bloatware, you'll need to upgrade your hardware (more CPU,
more and/or faster memory), or learn to live with a slow system.

David S.