Subject: Re: OT: Wireless networking help
To: Andy R <quadreverb@yahoo.com>
From: paul <pkdb1@attbi.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/26/2002 13:58:11
let's not get too overwrought about this: I've seen this before
and as Dan suggests, it's ignorance more than malice at work here.

They (Cox, @Home, AT&T) don't know how to do what they're trying
to do yet. By that, I mean they don't yet know how to support a
reliable but simple consumer-grade network, but they have figured
out that DHCP is essential if they are to grow and add segments
w/o disrupting service.

I had a static address with @Home, I now have a DHCP address with
AT&T, and nothing has changed, not even the address.

So take a deep breath, grab a refreshing adult beverage or
unhealthy snack and don't assume they're smart enough to be evil:
they're not, but they do a pretty good impression of it.