Subject: Re: Tracking -current while not trashing stable installation
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Thomas Mueller <tmueller@bluegrass.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/26/2002 06:28:53
From my previous message > and David Laight ^ :

^ Looks like lilo is loading and executing the pbr code....  I'm surprised it
^ needs to be told to do LBA, netBSD bootstrap susses it dynamically.

Lilo knows to do LBA but has to be told to do LBA32.  From previous messages, I
see NetBSD boot selector wouldn't be able to boot Linux on a logical partition,
hence the preference for lilo.

^ Eack disk needs its own disklabel......

I can't RTFM now, not being in NetBSD, but will have to see how to put a
disklabel on a non-BSD DOS-only, or DOS and Linux, disk.  I notice Linux fdisk
has a command b (edit bsd disklabel) but haven't tried it, don't want to risk
screwing things, read that BSD disklabels are not compatible across the BSDs
(Free, Net and Open).

>  New computer hard drive is 40 GB.

^ A small one :-)

I am not (yet) into MP3s and DivXs but hear these things can eat disk space
awful fast.