Subject: Re: Xircom CEM28 10Mbit/28k8 PCMCIA combo probing problems
To: Axel Scheepers <axel@axel.truedestiny.net>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/24/2002 19:42:10
On Thu, Jan 24, 2002 at 12:18:30AM +0100, Axel Scheepers wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am the proud owner of an old Toshiba 110CS with the Xircom CEM28 combo
> card. The laptop used to run Debian since I couldn't get the card working
> under FreeBSD. Now I've tried NetBSD with the same result. :(
> The card isn't probed right, only the modem part is seen and initialised.
> I've heard that this was common for *BSD and that it did because the card
> didn't tell the driver correctly if it was a combo card. Under Debian the
> card ran perfectly, under FreeBSD I've once had it running (patched if_xi.c)
> but it gave me an unusual MAC of 0's. I never had a change to really test it
> since I didn't have the right cable. Now I do and I want to make it run
> somehow, my questions about this matter are the following:
>
> Can I somehow retrieve the contents of the card's registers/ram to see what
> it really is telling the driver what it is ?
>
> What can I do best, patch if_xi.c to force the netpart use  (with probably the
> same effect as on FreeBSD) or somehow import the linux driver code to
> NetBSD ?

I looked a bit at this. There are problems in the pcmcia common code to
access the CIS infos and/or mapping registers.
The rigth thing would be to split if_xi in a front-end which attaches the
xi driver for the ethernet part, and com for the modem part (as the mhzc
driver). I tried to do this but failed to map all registers properly.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>