Subject: ESS Maestro 3 driver
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Brook Milligan <brook@biology.nmsu.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/23/2002 23:58:59
I am trying to use the ESS Maestro 3 driver written by Jared McNeill
and am not getting sound, neither in the built-in speakers nor in
speakers plugged into the line-out jack of an Inspriron 8100.  The
1.5.2 GENERIC_LAPTOP kernel (modified to include this driver) probes
this as:

     esa0 at pci2 dev 3 function 0: ESS Technology Inc Maestro 3 PCI Audio
     Accelerator (rev. 0x10)
     esa0: interrupting at irq 5
     esa0: SigmaTel STAC9721/23 codec; 18 bit DAC, 18 bit ADC, Rockwell 3D
     audio0 at esa0: half duplex

The BIOS reports the sound system as full duplex.  So far, my only
test case is to use xmcd/xmmix to try to play a cd.

- Does the probing of the devices look ok?

- Should it be full or half duplex?

- Are there better test cases for troubleshooting this?

Any suggestions are welcome.  Thanks.

Cheers,
Brook