Subject: Keyboard lossage after changing mouse under X11
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Keith Browne <tuxedo@htq.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/20/2002 23:56:37
Greetings.

I'm running NetBSD-1.5.2 on an x86 machine, with XFree86 4.0.3.
Today, my Logitech mouse died, so I went shopping for a replacement
and came home with a Microsoft Optical (Intellimouse) device.  This
mouse has a USB plug and an adaptor which allows it to plug into the
PS/2-style mouse port.

Although the mouse works just fine, ever since I installed it, my
keyboard has been acting strangely under XFree86.  When I use xset to
turn up the key repeat rate ("xset r rate 300 40"), I start getting
key repeats which don't stop when the key is released--especially with
the space bar.  Without the key repeat rate turned up, some keystrokes
seem to be getting lost or swapped.

I once had a similar situation under the old PCVT console driver, back
in '96 or so, which I traced to a race condition in the code for
toggling the shift-lock LED on the keyboard.  I solved that problem by
just disabling the LED-handling code and recompiling the kernel.

Are there any known issues with race conditions in the wscons code
these days?  Can anyone offer any advice on how to debug this?

Keith Browne
tuxedo@htq.org