Subject: boot hangs on rc.local -- my fault
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Gan Uesli Starling <oinkfreebiker@att.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/18/2002 18:31:25
I edited /etc/rc.local to start up the daemon at
/usr/pkg/bin/safe_mysqld

...but I forgot the "&" at the end. So I get this
at boot...

Updating motd.
starting local daemons: Starting mysqld daemon
with databases from var/mysql

...and there it hangs. I can't do anything with
it. The other login screens are all blank. I was
away from home on the laptop at the time. The
battery would not last, so I had to turn it off.

Now it will reboot, but it has to mark the file
system clean. FTP refuses connection, so does SSH
and I have TELNET disabled in /etc/inetd.conf.

I tried booting on the boot.fs1 and boot.fs2
floppies. 'Sokay there. But I can't do this...

mkdir oops
mount -t ffs /dev/wd0a /oops

...because the file system is not clean. It asks
for fsck, which I can't do from the boot.fs
floppies because there is no /etc/fstab.

Sooooo.......

Is there some way let the machine boot, mark its
file system clean and interrupt prior to entering
/etc/rc.local? some key-press? secret mantra or
lodge sign?

...or some way to force a reboot with the floppy
installed that does not require a keyboard
response?

I'm kinda stumped.....

Thanks,

Gan

--

Mysterious Starling -- Rarest Extinct Bird
     _

Newbie-2-Newbie NetBSD Unix How-To Pages at...
http://om-ah-hum.com/share/gus_netbsd_index.html