Subject: Re: anyone know how to get rid of perl's locale warnings?
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Bjoern Labitzke <hermit@hermit.home.cs.tu-berlin.de>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/17/2002 19:21:34
* Manuel Bouyer (bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr) Thu, Jan 17, 2002 at 07:03:06PM +0100:
> On Thu, Jan 17, 2002 at 09:23:32AM -0800, paul wrote:
> > perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
> > perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings:
> >        LC_ALL = (unset),
> >        LANG = "en_US.ISO8859-1"
> >    are supported and installed on your system.
> > perl: warning: Falling back to the standard locale ("C").
>
> I'm not sure you want to set LANG to this.
> LANG is used as default if the corresponding LC_* isnt' set. LC_ALL has the
> same role and takes precedence over LANG.
>
> LANG is also used by the XPG3 nls system, hence some confusion.
>
> What you need here is to set LC_CTYPE to en_US.ISO8859-1 and unset LANG.

What do I do, if I want, e.g. German error messages in a shell which I
get after setting of LANG=de? And I need the LC_CTYPE setting for
things like mutt which should show the correct characters. My output
looks like this:

perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
        LC_ALL = (unset),
        LC_CTYPE = "de_DE.ISO8859-1",
        LANG = "de"

So, what is the correct solution here?

Many thanks in advance,
Björn

--
Bjoern Labitzke  <hermit@cs.tu-berlin.de>
   Use GPG! (Don't you use envelopes for your letters?)