Subject: Re: About Realtek 8139B Lan chipset
To: Choi tai-kin,peter <peter_tkchoi@hotmail.com>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/16/2002 11:51:11
On Wed, Jan 16, 2002 at 01:08:44AM +0000, Choi tai-kin,peter wrote:
> Hi,
>
>   Thanks for your reply. But could I ask: what's the MII drivers for???
> Isn't the rtk drivers sufficient for the Realtek 8139B lan chipset????

Modern ethernet adapters are split in 2 parts: the core ethernet chip,
which implements the ethernet protocol and the interface with the host,
and one or more PHY, which deals with the physical media (10baseT, 10base2,
AUI, 100baseTX, fiber, etc ...). The bus between the ethernet chip and the
PHYs is MII (Media Independant Interface, I guess)

A driver for an MII-based adapter is also in 2 parts: a driver for the
ethernet chip, which attaches an MII bus, which attaches the PHY drivers.