Subject: Re: Problems with cron / crontab
To: beaker <beaker1119@yahoo.com>
From: Dave Huang <khym@azeotrope.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/13/2002 01:47:40
On Sat, 12 Jan 2002, beaker wrote:
> # /var/cron/tabs/beaker
> SHELL=/bin/sh
> PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin
> MAILTO=beaker
> # Run every nite @ 1:00am:
> *  1  *  *  *   echo "Its 1:00am - shut the dam thing off and go to bed!"

BTW, that would run every minute from 1:00am to 1:59am. If you only want
it to run at 1:00am, use
0 1 * * * echo "etc..."

> my crontab =>    /var/cron/tabs/beaker    mod = 600    owner = beaker
> group = wheel

I don't know if it's the cause of your problem, but I think the owner
should be root. And actually, you're supposed to use the "crontab"
command to install your crontab file, rather than putting it in
/var/cron/tabs yourself (which should take care of the ownership and
permissions for you).

As user "beaker", put your crontab in a file (the filename doesn't
matter), then run "crontab filename"