Subject: Re: Problems with cron / crontab
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: beaker <beaker1119@yahoo.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/12/2002 23:20:30
> If you did not change it yourself, you can reinstall a virgin one (i.e.
> one which is delivered with the system)

Someone was kind enough to send me their system crontab, however, how WOULD
you reinstall one?

> I'm using my user's crontabs for @reboot start fetchmail and various
little
> scripts which bake personal software freshly if they're outdated, and
distribute
> it to some other computers (who are waiting for such an event with
checking some
> directories where the stuff goes [procmail] periodically with a user
crontab),
> move backups (*~ e.g.) along, tar them up and gzip them and various little
other
> stuff.

This is the other problem I'm having: my "user" crontab won't execute
anything. All I get is mail with the command entered in the body of the
message. For example, here is a stripped down version of my crontab (run as
a regualr user named "beaker"):

# /var/cron/tabs/beaker
SHELL=/bin/sh
PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin
MAILTO=beaker
# Run every nite @ 1:00am:
*  1  *  *  *   echo "Its 1:00am - shut the dam thing off and go to bed!"

All I get from this is mail with the body entry below:

    echo "Its 1:00am - shut the dam thing off and go to bed!"

BTW, creating a similar "user" crontab for root - ie /var/cron/tabs/root -
will also not do the echo command.

Ref:
system crontab =>    /etc/crontab            mod = 600    owner = root
group = wheel
my crontab =>    /var/cron/tabs/beaker    mod = 600    owner = beaker
group = wheel

I think I must have a permission wrong somewhere, but where ??
beaker