Subject: network troubleshooting
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: None <madhombre@yahoo.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/11/2002 16:23:07
I have some problems with the inbound access to my
system.

Can some one help me with the effective use of network
troubleshooting tools.

I know about tcpdump and ipmon but I don't seem to be
able to track anything.

WHen I do a tcpdump on the ppp0 interface, I get
nothing execpt when I control C, then I get a message
saying 5 packets recieved by the filter, 0 dropped by
the kernal.

So I assuen the 5 ping packets I sent are getting
there, what is my next step, how do I tell if it is a
IPNAT problem or a firewall issue.

If they show up on tcpdump is that before or after
IPNAT? I think after, but before the firewall.

I then tried ipmon -a | grep b
this doesn't show any packets being blocked so how can
I track down the problem, I tried doing an open door
firewall and it still didn't work.

I need a hand in using these cools effectively,

thanks