Subject: Re: Help with X 3.3.6??
To: paulbeard <paulbeard@mac.com>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/11/2002 11:01:24
On Fri, 11 Jan 2002, paulbeard wrote:

> If I try to configure X with xf86config, I get a config that will hang my
> machine so hard that removing power is my only option with attendant fsck of

What config locks up your machine?

> I can't get XF86Setup to work: it keeps complaining about going to a virtual
> console but Alt-F[1234] don't get me anything. Sometimes this is

Do you have wscons configured for virtual terminals?

> unrecoverable as well.

XF86Setup locks up your machine?

> Does anyone have any idea how to create a basic X config file that will work
> and allow me to modify it as needed? I'd take 8 bit color right now.

Try using the default xf86config(1) tool.

> Or is there a way to make XF86Setup work? What am I missing, given that I
> have had X working on virtual console as recently as this morning?

Be sure to make a backup of your XF86Config file. (Maybe a backup was made
automatically for you; if so then use it.)

> I should also mention this is a laptop, so a hardcoded 1024 * 768 display at
> 24 bpp is fine. Using the ATI Rage Mobility card w/ 8 Mb video RAM.

What laptop? (Search for a XF86Config for it.)

And try http://www.google.com/search?q=ATI+Rage+Mobility+XF86Config

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.reedmedia.net/