Subject: Re: lkm floppy, lkm atapi cd, laptops
To: Brandon Menc <brm4242@fastmail.fm>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/11/2002 18:15:40
On Thu, Jan 10, 2002 at 10:34:44PM -0500, Brandon Menc wrote:
> i use netbsd on a laptop. i have a drive bay that holds either a floppy or cd drive.
> i can boot with both, but when i suspend and swap, the new drive does not get
> recognized. can i build lkm's for the floppy and cd and load them manually when i
> swap? if this is possible, how do i build the lkm's?

No, this is not really possible. Why don't you boot from CD ?
If this is not an option I can see 2 ways of doing it:
1) if you have windows installed:
get
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.5.2/i386/binary/kernel/netbsd.INSTALL_SMALL.gz
and
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.5.2/i386/installation/misc/dosboot.com
boot in DOS-only mode, and start dosboot.com, it should allow you to load the
netbsd.INSTALL_SMALL.gz kernel (maybe you have to type it on the command line:
dosboot.com netbsd.INSTALL_SMALL.gz)
This works with 95 and 98, I don't know about 2000.
2) If you can't boot from DOS, this should also work:
  get ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.5.2/i386/binary/kernel/netbsd.INSTALL_SMALL.gz, and put it on a FAT floppy (it should fit).
  boot from floppy, and start installation.
  when it asks for the install method, anserw "none"
  get a shell (from utility menu)
  mount the root partition: mount /dev/wd0a /mnt
  mount the FAT floppy: mount -t msdos /dev/fd0a /mnt2
  copy the INSTALL kernel: cp /mnt2/netbsd.INSTALL_SMALL.gz /mnt
  umount /mnt
  umount /mnt2
  power off the laptop, remove the floppy bay and insert CD bay
  boot kernel from disk: at the boot prompt, type: boot netbsd.INSTALL_SMALL.gz
You're now again in the install tool, and this time the CD should be
accessible.