Subject: Re: Would NetBSD run on IBM RISC System/6000 ?
To: Andy R <quadreverb@yahoo.com>
From: Greg Lehey <grog@au1.ibm.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/11/2002 10:45:37
On Thursday, 10 January 2002 at  6:29:53 -0800, Andy R wrote:
> --- "D'Arcy J.M. Cain" <darcy@druid.net> wrote:
>> Me too.  In fact...
>>
>>  - Is there someplace we can throw money at to make
>> this port happen?
>
> Well, I see that IBM is one of the contributors to the NetBSD
> project, but they are so in love with Linux right now that they
> won't be much help.

This is prejudice.

> I'm sure there are enough IBM'ers out there that have access to all
> the doc they need to work on ports... There was a guy in here that
> used to work for IBM that was talking about running NetBSD on every
> machine he had including RS/6000's.

I work for IBM's Linux Technology Center, and one of the things on my
plate is helping BSD people port to the PPC architecture, specifically
RS/6000 (now called the pSeries).  Some months ago I sent a message
out to the NetBSD PPC mailing list (now copied) offering help, but I
didn't get any reply.  That offer still stands.  I've taken a look at
the PPC port and started doing a little work on it for the latest
pSeries machines, but I don't have the time to do it by myself.  If
anybody else wants to do this, feel free to contact me.

Regarding Joel's machine, I don't know this particular model.  I'm
still chasing it up.  Joel, a couple of questions:

1.  You say:

>                IBM RISC System/6000 43P-133
>                PowerPC 604, 133MHz
>                PowerSeries = 850
>                Chip = 604
>                MFG Date = 01/97

In addition to the model number, there's also a type number, which I
suspect is 7043 in this case.  Can you check if you see anything like
that?  It's also possible that it's a 7248, for which I have
documentation, or 7249.

2.  What colour is the box?

Greg