Subject: Re: Future of the Alpha (was Re: ...IBM RISC System/6000 ?)
To: Andy R <quadreverb@yahoo.com>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/10/2002 19:06:47
On Thu, Jan 10, 2002 at 09:53:20AM -0800, Andy R wrote:
> Enlighten me here, is this company going to be
> continuing development of the Alpha? Does it have a
> future here? I'm getting all excited... I haven't kept
> up with current events on the Alpha lately. If there
> was any processor that the open source community has
> embraced other than the i386, it's surely Alpha.

Well, I think they used to build their own motherboard, and use
non-dec CPUs. however their 21264 products looks like compaq ones.
I suspect they build their own motherboard based on compaq chips and design.

Anyway I hope they will continue supporting it, and the best way to convince
them is to buy their hardware :)