Subject: Re: Would NetBSD run on IBM RISC System/6000 ?
To: Matthias Buelow <mkb@mukappabeta.de>
From: D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@druid.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/10/2002 05:47:36
Thus spake Matthias Buelow
> "sfalken" <sfalkenx@hotmail.com> writes:
> >Barring NetBSD support, you might want to look at Yellowdog Linux, I know
> >they were working on an RS/6000 port based on the 2.2/2.4 kernel series.
>
> And, of course, AIX runs really ok on them :)
> I don't think it would be too hard to get a "personal copy" of 4.3.x
> or 5.1 on the net (if all fails, IIRC, he can order it for non-commercial
> stuff at IBM for media-costs even, though it might involve fighting the
> bureaucracy a bit...)

Of course, AIX might be the problem that he is trying to solve.  We just
bought a couple of RS6000 M80 systems to run our production database
(PostgreSQL) and there turned out to be a problem.  Something was
causing the database to Kack and we could not recover.  In fact we
couldn't even kill the processes so that we could restart it.  We wound
up jumping to a PC running NetBSD in order to get through Christmas, our
busiest time of the year.  Unfortunately a PC is not going to be able
to handle the volume by the time next Christmas rolls around so we need
to get this or something else working by then.  It sure would be nice
to see NetBSD running on these.

> I'd really like to see NetBSD on the rs/6k, though...

Me too.  In fact...

 - Is there someplace we can throw money at to make this port happen?
 - What is the best choice for a NetBSD machine that can handle a lot
   of database transactions.

Our other alternative is to switch to their database but I don't want
to do that for two reasons.  First, that takes away another thing that
we have source for and therefor reduces our overall control of the app.
Second, we are using a number of features in PostgreSQL and moving to
something else means a bigger porting job.

Naturally, if anyone else has seen and solved this PostgreSQL/AIX issue
I would be happy to hear from you off list.