Subject: Re: NetBSD install missing things?
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: David Laight <David.Laight@btinternet.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/10/2002 09:45:24
> David Laight <David.Laight@btinternet.com> wrote:
> >
> >I'm not sure, but at a guess, K&R wrote curses and vi to avoid having to
> >edit using ed.  They wrote C because the didn't like pdp11 assembler :-)
>
> Let's not re-write history here:
>
> >From the original vi acknowledgements, by William Joy and Mark Horton:
>
> Bruce Englar encouraged the early development of this display
> editor.  Peter Kessler helped bring sanity to version 2's
> command layout.  Bill Joy wrote versions 1 and 2.0 through 2.7,
> and created the framework that users see in the present editor.
> Mark Horton added macros and other features and made the editor
> work on a large number of terminals and Unix systems.

Thanks - I was only guessing (as I said)

> And the original vi did not use curses like nvi/elvis/vim et.al. do.
> It used termcap directly. It also had the sticky bit set, so it would
> load faster :-)

Yes - I do know that it used termcap directly, you tend to get faster
programs if you do.  Especially if you want screen scrolling to happen
at the right time.  I was begining to rabbit on.....

Ah yes, the original use for the sticky bit!  Probably ignored (for
executables) on most recent paging systems!

    David