Subject: Re: SMP on SparcStation
To: Sebastian Krohn <seb@darksystem.net>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@baesystems.com.au>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/08/2002 11:59:41
According to Sebastian Krohn:

>I've got an old SparcStation 20 with two 75MHz CPUs.
>
>Since I'm using NetBSD on Intel as my favorite OS I'd like to run this
>Box on NetBSD, too. But the NetBSD Site Says that there is no SMP in
>the current Sparc Port.

getting MP going on sparc machines is being worked on in
netbsd-current.  At the moment multiprocessor does not work due to
cache coherency problems which, hopefully, will be fixed in the not
too distant future.

At worst, you can always just run the machine uniprocessor until sparc
MP gets there.

>Whats about Linux?

I believe that linux does support MP sparc.

>I'm only a Student so I haven't enough money to get an Solaris-licence.

As others have noted, solaris is a free download for the machine you
have (don't expect blazing performance though ;-), you can even get a
source license by asking these days.