Subject: Re: SMP on SparcStation
To: Sebastian Krohn <seb@darksystem.net>
From: Andy R <quadreverb@yahoo.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/07/2002 16:31:32
--- Sebastian Krohn <seb@darksystem.net> wrote:

> Hi there!
>
> I've got an old SparcStation 20 with two 75MHz CPUs.
>
> Since I'm using NetBSD on Intel as my favorite OS
> I'd like to run this
> Box on NetBSD, too. But the NetBSD Site Says that
> there is no SMP in
> the current Sparc Port.
>
> Anyone knows if there will be changes in the future?
> Nobody interestet in such a feature?
> Or are there other Problems?
>
> OpenBSD doesen't support SMP-Boxes at all (it will
> not even boot :-( )
> and FreeBSD has only a sparc64-Port.
> Are there any other Free Unix-Style OSes which
> supports SMP on those
> Computers? Whats about Linux?
>
> I'm only a Student so I haven't enough money to get
> an Solaris-licence.
>
> so long,
>     Sebastian

Come on guys, what's all this talk of Solaris on the
NetBSD mailing list! Heresey!

There has been quite a bit of talk lately on the sparc
mailing list about SMP. SMP will function with sparc,
and indeed the 1.5.2 kernel config file even contains
stanzas for SMP mode (but I don't have an SMP box so I
don't use it). 1.6 is supposed to be the big release
for SMP across many (all?) platforms so stay tuned.

If you download the install floppies the install works
almost the same as Intel. Choose the experimental
install method and you get the same menu driven
interface as Intel. It's really clean and nice. My box
(SS1, slow as molases) has been quite stable and
trouble free. NetBSD rocks.

I'd suggest you move over to the sparc mailing list
and pursue NetBSD. It's rock solid on sparc.

Andy