Subject: Re: what's the secret to installing KDE2 on 1.5.2?
To: paul beard <paulbeard@mac.com>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@rice.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/06/2002 00:49:55
> >>That's exactly what I'm doing now: that will be tedious enough as I
> >>re-run configure 10 times and spell out exactly where qt and friends are
> >>

> >...huh?  Just use pkgsrc; type ``make update'' in the appropriate
> >directory and let it go.
> >

> regrettably, your .sig rings true this time. building from pkgsrc craps
> out on some issues with QT: it seems there are some disagreements about

There's a reason that I put it there.

Anyway, perhaps I wasn't clear.  I've noticed you're having trouble
compiling with pkgsrc (read the rest of my message that you quote).  My
point was that what I'm doing is *not* ``exactly what [you're] doing'': I
do *not* have to ``re-reun configure 10 times'', etc.

Maybe I misunderstood you.  I took you to mean that you were giving up on
pkgsrc and were manually compiling, and that you thought that that's what
I was doing as well.  I'm not there.  I'm not even on that continent.
(^&

I have had troubles from time to time with specific packages.  I can't
remember having KDE or GNOME fail to build on me, but as large as they are
(with as many dependancies), there are probably days when they don't
build.  Rarely do I encounter problems.  *Very* rarely are they serious
w.r.t. my intended use.

Also, I can't recall if you said when your pkgsrc tree was dated.  Have
you been trying several versions of pkgsrc?  Or are you using the 6975KB
pkgsrc.tgz from June 27th (in the same FTP dir as the 1.5.2 system install
files)?