Subject: Re: what's the secret to installing KDE2 on 1.5.2?
To: Richard Rauch <rauch@rice.edu>
From: paul beard <paulbeard@mac.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/05/2002 21:44:02
Richard Rauch wrote:

>>That's exactly what I'm doing now: that will be tedious enough as I
>>re-run configure 10 times and spell out exactly where qt and friends are
>>

>...huh?  Just use pkgsrc; type ``make update'' in the appropriate
>directory and let it go.

regrettably, your .sig rings true this time. building from pkgsrc craps
out on some issues with QT: it seems there are some disagreements about
how to use libtool and it just dies. I have tried everything I know and
have gotten nowhere.

I have tried building from source (tarballs from Trolltech and KDE), as
well as thru pkg_src, as well as pkg_add.

The irritating thing this is that there is only *one* piece of KDE that
isn't available thru pkg_add -- kdeutils -- but it blocks everything else.

I moved from linux to bsd to get away from RPM and it's poor attempt at
handling dependencies: annoying to get bitten  by it here.

I'm running make in pkgsrc and logging the results: I'll post the salient bits in case anyone sees something I missed.