Subject: KDE2 options?
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: paul beard <pkdb1@home.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/04/2002 12:04:38
Well, as I remarked yesterday, KDE2 still fails to build, so I'm stuck. I'm
pulling down the latest pkgsrc to see if anything has changed, but I'm not
optimistic.

I installed GNOME and was reminded why I don't use it, so failing a miracle,
I'll be dumping NetBSD/i386 and re-installing Linux, debian specifically, to
see if their dependency resolution works any better.

If anyone has any advice, let me know. I'd like to give this a chance.

to recap:

the pkgsrc meta-pkg for KDE2 won't install due to some issues with QT. The
QT version specified is 2.3.1nb1 for which there is no package: the package
is 2.3.0 and will install just fine. 2.3.1nb1 fails to install due to some
issue with libtool trying to work with dynamic libs even though the config
specifies static libs. I can install individual pkgs for everything against
QT-2.3.0 but kdeutils, which is only available as source. It dies when
QT-2.3.1nb1 fails to install.

So after working thru all the pkg resolution issues (downgrading Mesa,
MesaLib, glu, glut, libtool since for some reason versions can be taken as

--
Paul Beard / 206 529 8400
8040 27th Ave NE

Never explain.  Your friends do not need it and your enemies will never
believe you anyway.
                -- Elbert Hubbard