Subject: Re: what's the secret to installing KDE2 on 1.5.2?
To: paul <pkdb1@attbi.com>
From: Linda Laubenheimer <ljl@rahul.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/03/2002 12:31:24
paul wrote:

> Howdy, I am a new convert to NetBSD, after being amazed at how well it
> installed and works on an old PowerMac. I decided to pitch linux and go
> with NetBSD, mostly because of dependency resolution: I knew FreeBSD was
> able  to handle complex installs so NetBSD's ability to do it is a
> welcome idea. Linux (redhat anyway) doesn't grok this and their packages
> are often incompatible with each other.
>
> Now my problem is that I can't get KDE2 to install: I have tried the
> meta-package and the individual pkgs and it seems to be getting worse. I
> went to bed with a working KDE desktop and woke up to find it missing.

<aol> me too</aol>  I would walk away for a couple hours and it
would have gotten whacked.  I'd have to restart it.  If you get
any answers let me know...

> I keep hitting issues with libtool requirements being different for some
> of the sub packages, and the whole mess started with libpng.so.1 being
> missing. Turned out I had two versions of libpng installed due to
> different dependencies and symlinking so.1 to so.2 didn't do the rigth
> thing.

The KDE2 dependency tree seems to be a nightmare.  It asks for
specific versions of some packages, rather than
pkg-a>=pkg-a-[1.*].  Infuriating.

> I am looking at installing from scratch, qt, then kdebase, kdelibs, and
> the rest of it. Anyone have any easier ways to do this?

I had the devils own time getting kde2 to install.  It took me
three days of irritation and compiling on a slow box.  I finally
had to remove everything that was installed from packages and
compile from pkgsrc, and even then it isn't stable - it comes up
for root but not for users, and the toolbar disappears when I
try to do anything with it!!  I'm looking at gnome...

The thing is, I didn't have this problem installing it on a
laptop a year ago, but that was 1.5.1, I think.  I had just
figured the current problem was my hardware - and I don't
have spares to compare with.  Maybe it's not...

		Linda "kde2 on 1.5.2 is... odd?" Laubenheimer
--
Linda J Laubenheimer - UNIX Geek, Sysadmin, Bibliophile and Iconoclast
http://www.modusvarious.net/ - consultants available