Subject: Re: Very slow disk.
To: Richard Rauch , Thomas Michael Wanka <Tom@Wanka.at>
From: Andy R <quadreverb@yahoo.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/03/2002 11:45:43
--- Richard Rauch <rauch@rice.edu> wrote:

> Hm.  I've been pondering what to make of this
> message.  Perhaps I should
> just get a new motherboard and transplant
> everything...  I suppose that
> I'll hold off at least until summer, though.  I'm
> not putting the machine
> through very intensive work, right now...

So what was the consensus on what motherboards are
worthwhile? I remember from the workstation discussion
that Via seems to be evil, we had problems with the
onboard audio on many of the via boards, and this I/O
thing. Is this I/O problem due to the controller that
these particular motherboards use, or is it chipset
related? This may have been answered already, sorry if
I missed it.

I'm also looking for a new board, and it seems that
the AMD chipsets are the way to go if you don't go
Intel. There are a few AMD chipsets too. Are there any
to stay away from? And now we have Nvidia chipsets but
it seems like they may not be the way to go yet if
they are even supported... There are way too many of
these things out there to try to study them all...

Andy