Subject: what's the secret to installing KDE2 on 1.5.2?
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: paul <pkdb1@attbi.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/03/2002 08:24:29
Howdy, I am a new convert to NetBSD, after being amazed at how well it
installed and works on an old PowerMac. I decided to pitch linux and go
with NetBSD, mostly because of dependency resolution: I knew FreeBSD was
able  to handle complex installs so NetBSD's ability to do it is a
welcome idea. Linux (redhat anyway) doesn't grok this and their packages
are often incompatible with each other.

Now my problem is that I can't get KDE2 to install: I have tried the
meta-package and the individual pkgs and it seems to be getting worse. I
went to bed with a working KDE desktop and woke up to find it missing.

I keep hitting issues with libtool requirements being different for some
of the sub packages, and the whole mess started with libpng.so.1 being
missing. Turned out I had two versions of libpng installed due to
different dependencies and symlinking so.1 to so.2 didn't do the rigth
thing.

I am looking at installing from scratch, qt, then kdebase, kdelibs, and
the rest of it. Anyone have any easier ways to do this?