Subject: Re: NetBSD install missing things?
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Thomas Mueller <tmueller@bluegrass.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/03/2002 01:07:57
to Richard Rauch:

Thanks for directory listing of /bin and /sbin.

I managed to boot OpenBSD 2.9 from the installation diskette, written from
downloaded image, but fdisk recognized only 1024 virtual cylinders, and
disklabel was inconsistent about the cylinders and had things screwy in places.
But I should have enough between Linux and NetBSD, not to mention DR-DOS 7.03.

LSL sells/sold a set of 3 CDs for NetBSD 1.5.2, and a set of 8 CDs for NetBSD
packages from some time after NetBSD 1.5.1 was released.  Set of 3 CDs was for
all architectures, though not all bootable from CD.  There is apparently much
common code.  4-disk option may be more recent than my last browsing of
http://www.lsl.com/  I thought the 3 CD set was official, up from 2 CDs for
NetBSD 1.5 and 1.5.1.

LSL sells/sold official 6-CD set for Debian 2.2.3 (Linux), 3 for source and 3
for binaries, I haven't browsed their site since Debian 2.2.4 was released.  But
the OpenBSD 2.9 set of 2 CDs was for i386 only, in contrast to the official set,
which was for all OpenBSD-supported architectures.  Slackware (Linux) and
OpenBSD make and sell their own CD sets, and I think FreeBSD does too.

I haven't seen ed from the inside yet, only saw it in directory listings, so I
don't know details as to maximum file size, number of files that can be edited
concurrently, but think it's supposed to be more user-friendly than the
(in?)famous vi.

There are some packages, such as vim 6.0 and Mozilla, where I'd want the latest,
rather than what would be on the CDs, for Linux as well as NetBSD.  vim 6.0
because I downloaded and ran the 32-bit DOS port, and editing multiple files
concurrently is near-impossible, doesn't work as it's supposed to, and I want to
see if the BSD and Linux versions do better.