Subject: Re: Very slow disk.
To: Richard Rauch , <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Thomas Michael Wanka <Tom@Wanka.at>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/02/2002 14:43:24
Hi,

On 1 Jan 2002 at 15:17, Richard Rauch wrote:
> (Sorry for not getting back to you for a couple of days.  I should
> probably add to my .signature, ``Please CC directly to me if replying
> to me on a mailing list.''  (^&)

Others do not like to get messages twice ;).

> It's true that my system isn't under heavy load.  (Is that CPU load,
> or I/O load---or both or either?)

For the specific problem any intensive PCI usage should show the
effects.

> Still, my observed problems at this point are performance, not
> integrity. It seems unwise to update anything on the motherboard
> unless I'm updating to something that is believed to be rock
> solid---or unless integrity problems manifest themselves.

After all that was reported you (if you really want to risk it) can
put two drives into the box and move large amounts of data from one
to the other. However there were several reports of problematic
behavior of VIA based computers and I cannot say for shure if there
is only one problem or several problems. If everything else (like
cabling problems and such) has been found to be correct, and there
are no traces to incompatibilities (there were reports of several
drives that have problems synchronising correctly with some
controllers) then it should be a chipset problem. In general I would
not put the terms "rock solid" and "X86" together ;).

> Thanks for the pointer to the AMD760 chipset, though.

Actually I have seen not enough reports about the performance of this
chipset, the data looks good, but you can never tell.

mike