Subject: routing and ipnat
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: None <madhombre@yahoo.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/31/2001 16:47:39
ok, quick run down of the system

system runs netbsd 1.5.2, acts as internet gateway,
has a dial up modem with a static ip and a cable modem
with a dynamic one.

What I have is a load of clients all accessing the net
through the system. BUT because of the limitations of
my cable modem I can't get any incoming connections,
or any mail in or out connections.

Therefore I need the dialup modem (ppp0) to handle all
incoming connections and the mail ions and outs and
the rest of the outbound to use the cable modem (tlp0)

ok I did only have the ppp so I set it up to be the
gateway and used 3 map commands to allow the clients
to have access.

Then this worked just fine, all in and out were great.
 Then I stuck my cable modem into the picture. Now I
figured that the map commands were for clients becuase
that is what seemed to make sense, so I changed the 3
map commands to use tlp0, and now the cable modem
handle all out going connections just fine.

BUT now my dial up can;t get the incoming ones.

So my first question is can you set up maps to only
work for the outbound and different ones for the
inbound, so I can have the outbound set for my cable
and the inbound for my dial up?

If not how can I make this work?

The next phase is to then take the outbound
connections on port 25 and make them use the dial up
modem too.

So how does that work? can I use ipnat or do I need to
use something else? if so what gated? routed?

I don't have access to my ipnat file so for now we can
just stick to theory, the documentation is more
practicle based and I don't know the theory behind to
know exactly what to do.

Well hopefully someone can come up with an answer

Thanks