Subject: Re: How to back up from one hard disk to another... ?
To: Andy R , Robert Kennedy <robert@cs.stanford.edu>
From: Greg Oster <oster@cs.usask.ca>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/27/2001 08:45:16
Andy R writes:
> --- Jeff Rizzo <riz@boogers.sf.ca.us> wrote:

> > raidframe...
>
> Speaking of raidframe, it's a kernel level interface
> (like ccd), so you'll have to recompile the kernel
> anyway. If you're going to do that, move up to the
> latest... 1.5.2 has lots of things that are desireable
> over 1.3.

Agreed.

> I wasn't aware that ccd did mirrors. I thought I read
> somewhere to the contrary...

It used to have (limited) support for mirrors... in NetBSDland, that
code was ripped out once RAIDframe came along...

> I have a few questions about raidframe from a non
> engineer type to anyone that can answer. If I mirror a
> disk, does it become a full and true mirror?

The "data section" of mirrored components are 'true mirrors'.  Things which
don't live inside the data section (e.g. component labels, disklabels for the
physical disk, MBR's, etc.) are not mirrored.

> Does it mirror the boot code and all?

Since the boot code typically doesn't live inside the "data section" of the
component, no.

> Can I use the mirror to boot off of?

With a bit of extra work you can boot off of the mirror.  It's not as
straightforward as it might be, however.

>  Also, is there any provision to have it
> do parallel vs. sequential writes or is this not
> applicable?

Writes will happen in parallel (e.g. for a RAID 1 set, data will be written
to both components at the same time).