Subject: Sendmail 8.12.1 setgid problems
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Dave Melton <dmelton@banzuke.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/26/2001 17:59:31
I've just build sendmail 8.12.1 from sources downloaded from sendmail.org,
and installed on my brand new NetBSD 1.5.2 server.  Incoming mail appears
to be working fine, but when I try to send mail from my machine (using
pine), I get the error message:

Nov 25 14:54:37 ozeki
sendmail[10878]: NOQUEUE: SYSERR(dmelton): drop_privileges: setgid(25)
failed: Operation not permitted

I've followed the recommended approach, and am trying to run sendmail
as user smmsp, rather than root.

Wondering if anyone else has encountered (and solved) this problem?
As I interpret the sendmail docs (like
http://www.sendmail.org/~ca/email/sm-812.html), it sounds like some
of the setgid issues can be OS related.  Does NetBSD require that
sendmail be run suid root?  This is a bit of a security compromise,
so I only want to do it if it's necessary.

Thanks for your help,
  Dave Melton