Subject: Compiling NetBSD-current kernel on i386
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: phaet0n _ <phaet0n@hotmail.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/08/2001 23:24:18
Hello all,

I installed NetBSD 1.5 for i386 about a month ago or so. I am trying to
update my kernel to NetBSD-current, so I downloaded sys.tar.gz in order to
build it. I configured it and so, however when I build I get assembler
errors for arch/i386/isa/npx.c Specifically, the assembler that is invoked
by cc claims that there are no fxsave/fxrstor instructions on the 386, which
is true by I set my processor to 686. Clearly the assembler needs updating.
How do I update my assembler? I downloaded gnu.tar.gz, however I don't have
diskspace to build it and when I build the assembler as alone, the build
assember doesn't seem to accept the .section directive. Can you please help
me. Thank you. If in future I wish to move the CVS version, how do I ensure
that my build tools are good?

phaet0n