Subject: Re: Keyboard suitable for NetBSD
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@wasabisystems.com>
From: jonathan michaels <jlm@caamora.com.au>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/04/2001 07:49:09
perry,

On Sat, Nov 03, 2001 at 11:27:07AM -0500, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> jonathan michaels <jon@caamora.com.au> writes:
> > i am in teh process of building a machine to be a NetBSD host, it is an
> > old 486dx33 (i also have an equally old pentium 90 mhz motherboard,
> > incase).
>
> A P90 is a whole lot faster than a 486dx33!
>
> > i almost never use GUI anyway and much prefer the directness of teh CLI
> > interface.  so i was wondering if anyone can tell me about thier
> > experiences or if they know that his is either doable or plainly not
> > doable.
>
> You aren't entirely explaining what you want to know is

sorry, about that .. i'm not so good with the communications skills at
times, arthritis messes up the thinking processes at times.

i was trying to ask if it is possible to use an old IBM PC/XT keyboard
with NetBSD ?

my resources are meager allowing only one machine at a time, currently
its all working as a i486dx33.

> doable. Certainly NetBSD will run on hardware that old. Certainly you
> can use it without a GUI -- many people do.

yes, that is my intention, sorry i gave the impression that it may not
have been able to do so.

i have been reading about the "wscon" (sorry if i misspelt the name),
it would be nice if it could do 'big' character fonts (for us with
poor/damaged eyes). i don't suppose thier is a program that would be
able to offer that kind of functionality, i looked through teh
available packages documentation ??

with warm regards and appreciations

jonathan

Jonathan Michaels		      http://rebuild.soon.may.be
PO Box 144, Rosebery, NSW 1445	  suffering construction anxiety