Subject: Re: Keyboard suitable for NetBSD
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: James K. Lowden <jklowden@schemamania.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/03/2001 19:14:27
On Sun, Nov 04, 2001 at 07:32:19AM +1100, jonathan michaels wrote:
> if thier were enough room on teh 350 mb esdi drive thats how i would
> have 'answered' teh question. as it s i only have enough room for one
> operating system at a time and the keyboard works with the current
> ms-dos stuff very well.

Hello Jonathan Michaels,

As Perry said, if the keyboard works with the hardware, it will work
with NetBSD.  I have something you don't yet -- a working NetBSD
system -- so I could easily look at the relevant source code.  The
wscons system is definitely prepared for your stone-age :) keyboard,
the kind that was very nice to have back when Borland Sidekick defined
"multitasking" on PCs.

To test it out, you don't need a hard disk at all. Create and load
the boot floppies, exit from the system menu, and see. IIRC, you
might even have multiple virtual consoles at that point, so
ctrl-alt-F2 should move you to another screen.

A standard installation won't fit in 100 MB, but a minimal one will.
Trouble is, I'm not sure you'd have room for the man pages, which I
think you'd want.  I set up a pretty functional system on a 170 MB
drive not too long ago and I think I only left out the X window stuff.

Regards,

--jkl