Subject: seeing broken frames over the wire.
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Mipam <mipam@ibb.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/09/2001 17:02:24
Hi,

Normally its easy to look up traffic over the wire by tcpdump, snort,
etc. However, one day we had severe performance problems and it looked
like something was flooding. However, no abnormal network trouble could
be found be looking in between etc. Finally we figured that some switch
was behaving weird and was sending broken frames, not even
a normal 48 bits dst addr in the ethernet layer could be seen.
So basically a *load of 0's and 1's were send over the wire and flooding
us, until we pulled the plug from the switch and plugged in another.
My p[roblem is that i cant see such broken traffic.
Is there any way to look at frames, even if they're broken, so that
we can see that there is traffic?
It could have spared me a lot of time if i could have seen it :-)
Bye,

Mipam.