Subject: Re: ftp fast/slow over LAN
To: Dave Huang <khym@azeotrope.org>
From: Gan Uesli Starling <oinkfreebiker@att.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/30/2001 21:23:18
From prior posts, the trasfer rates were...

Putting ThinkPad -> Tower: 891.92 KB/s
Getting Tower -> ThinkPad: 41.11 KB/s

...and repeating the second, but this time as...

ftp> get rsync-2.4.6.tar.gz /dev/null

...resulted in a rate of 48.80 KB/s on the first try, then
23.90 KB/s on the 2nd, 23.57 KB/s on the 3rd. And for a
comparison I did without the /dev/null and got a transfer
rate of 27.48 KB/s.

I note the same rate of light-blinking whether to /dev/null
or to the disk. On doing get to disk, I observe that the
readout for transfer rate starts out high, then ramps down
with each blink of lights to less and less until the final
value is as reported. On doing get to /dev/null I do not
see a read-out, so can't tell what is going on that way.