Subject: Re: MD5 Passwd
To: Diego Linke - GAMK <gamk@gamk.com.br>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/24/2001 13:59:55
On Mon, 24 Sep 2001, Manuel Bouyer wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 24, 2001 at 01:22:38PM -0300, Diego Linke - GAMK wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > How i migration the passwd with DES password to MD5 password ?
> >
> > My passord the max lenght is 8 chars :~~
>
> There's no way to convert DES-encrypted passwd to MD5-encrypted (this would
> require decrypting the passwd fied from /etc/passwd which is not supposed to
> be possible).
> You have to ask all your users to enter passwd again.

Two more ideas:

- implement the authentication code (libdescrypt) from FreeBSD which
allows use of both DES and MD5;

- modify login (and/or other tools) to use the plain text password to
generate a new MD5 hash; after a while you may have all passwords
converted and then you can switch over (after you have changed crypt(3) to
use md5 or changed all your needed tools to use a different md5
crypt-replacement).

Also, I noticed these messages, which made me think that some
version of crypt(3) for NetBSD may already have MD5 support:
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/current-users/2001/03/26/0015.html
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/current-users/2001/04/02/0001.html
"I recently went to md5 passwords in /etc/password."

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.reedmedia.net/