Subject: Re: sendmail -- All my network files here
To: Gan Starling <MisteraSturno@worldnet.att.net>
From: Dave Huang <khym@azeotrope.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/22/2001 14:30:44
On Sat, 22 Sep 2001, Gan Starling wrote:
> # /etc/ppp/peers/att.chat
> # Written per NetBSD Guide Example 9-4
> ABORT BUSY
> ABORT "NO CARRIER"
> ABORT "NO DAILTONE"
> '' ATDT9030000
> CONNECT ''
> # End of /etc/ppp/peers/att.chat

Typo alert: DIALTONE, not DAILTONE :) That's not the cause of the
problem you're seeing though... I think most recent modems default to
hardware flow control, but perhaps your modem is defaulting to no flow
control... which model of USR modem do you have? I suspect the commands
are same across all USR modems, but I'm not sure... for my Sportster
Voice 33.6, AT&F1 turns on hardware flow control, and ATI4 displays the
current settings.

By the way, in case you didn't know about this, the "script" command
will log your session to a file until you type "exit"... so you can
start script, do things, exit script, then copy the log file to a floppy
to send from Win98--avoids having to cut and paste. (But if cut&paste is
working fine for you, there's nothing wrong with it :)

Anyways, try this (I've included the "script" as an example of how to
use it, but you can cut&paste if you'd like). While disconnected from
your ISP,

gus# script modemsettings
Script started, output file is modemsettings
gus# cu -l /dev/tty00
Connected.
ATI4
USRobotics Sportster Voice 33600 Fax Settings...

[ various things here, but the following block is the one I'm interested in ]
   &A3  &B1  &C1  &D2  &G0  &H1  &I0  &K1
   &M4  &N0  &P0  &R2  &S0  &T5  &U0  &Y1
[ and more stuff here... ]

OK
AT&F1
OK
ATI4

[ again, I'm mainly interested in the following section ]
   &A3  &B1  &C1  &D2  &G0  &H1  &I0  &K1
   &M4  &N0  &P0  &R2  &S0  &T5  &U0  &Y1

OK
~.
Disconnected.
gus# exit
Script done, output file is modemsettings

"cu" lets you talk directly with the modem and give it commands...  you
then type ATI4 to get the modem to display its current settings. AT&F1
will set it to hardware flow control, and ATI4 displays the settings
again. The "~." (tilde followed by a period) exits "cu".

If you see &H1, &I0, and &R2 in the first set of settings (before
AT&F1), you're using hardware flow control, and I'm stumped. However, if
you see something else, such as &H0, &I0, &R1, the flow control isn't
set properly. In which case, try this as your /etc/ppp/peers/att.chat
file:

ABORT BUSY
ABORT "NO CARRIER"
ABORT "NO DIALTONE"