Subject: Re: smpt error -- Can't send long apology
To: None <oinkfreebiker@att.net>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@mac.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/20/2001 00:59:38
>Jerremy,
>
>>  How are you trying to cut-and-paste in Communicator?
>>  Did you try selecting the text and then
>>  "middle-clicking" into the message box?
>
>Silly me, no. I first thought to try highlighting
>the text in KDE, clicking on COPY in KDE and looking for
>PASTE to un-grey in Communicator. You know, like the
>simple, normal, multi-platform GUI way? Like in Windows,
>(if memory serves) and even my twelve-year-old Amiga.

BUT you're missing the fact that Windows and the Amiga operating
systems (there were a few...dunno what you were running) all keep a
CENTRAL OS-level "clipboard" for Applications to cut'n'paste stuff
into/from. You were *NOT* using a NetBSD "copy"...you were using a
KDE "copy". *BIG* difference. NetScape has never heard of KDE, and as
such, has no idea how to access KDE's clipboard.

>Then it dawned on me that just because the ap has this
>button that says "copy" or "paste" doesn't mean that I
>can actually copy or paste with it. Those were just for
>decoration. Silly me.

No, they're not for decoration. They are for use *WITHIN THE KD
Environment* Any of the KDE tools should be able to use the
cut/copy/paste to communicate with each other.

As for your problem with sending long emails...what SMTP server are
you using to send from within NetBSD...and are you using the same
server from that Win98 box? Some mailservers are configured to not
send long messages, although 2k *should* be able to slip through.

Mike
Bikers don't *DO* taglines.