Subject: Re: smpt error -- Can't send long apology
To: None <oinkfreebiker@att.net>
From: Arto Huusko <arto.huusko@utu.fi>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/20/2001 01:21:43
On 19-Syy-01, oinkfreebiker@att.net wrote:

>> So: are you using Kmails SMTP (that sometimes is buggy)
>> or another (like sendmail)? Can you send longer
>> messages with other programs?
>
> I will have to investigate. Know however that I did not
> adjust or configure anything to do with mail. Being a
> newbie, I figured it best to go with the package install
> defaults.

You really can't expect something like a mail client to work
without *any* configuration at all.

Even on Windows, when installing mail client (at least the ones
I've tried. Briefly.) you will be asked for your mail host
(the SMTP host) which deals with sending your messages.

And also, although I'm sure NetBSD welcomes newbies, I think
it should be understood that NetBSD is not, and may never be
such a newbie-friendly system as Windows. An UN*X system
simply (if you do your own installs, configs etc.) is not that
simple. It needs configuration and tender care.

> But I have not yet attempted to iteratively define
> whether there be a 2k char barrier on Netscape like the
> one on KMail.

For me, this 2k barrier seems very much like trouble with
networking. IIRC, you used PPP; are your PPP settings correct?

> As for my system: on both the laptop and the tower all I
> have are fresh installs of NetBSD 1.5.1, binary pkg
> installs of Communicator 4.6 and pkgsrc installs of KDE2.

You provide no information about the mail environment. Although
you did say you made no configuration; that would go a long way
in explaining things about mail (see above).

--
Arto Huusko (arto.huusko@utu.fi) | Diving Is Fun