Subject: Re: Another IP related question (Probably OT).
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: James K. Lowden <jklowden@schemamania.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/19/2001 23:55:17
On Tue, Sep 18, 2001 at 07:13:43AM -0500, Richard Pennington wrote:
> I'm going to be moving soon from the city to the suburbs. In the
> city, I have a T1 connection, do my own name and mail serving, and
> have my own set of class C IP numbers: 192.124.43.XX.

[ amusing history snipped ]

> Is it possible to serve a few (low traffic)
> websites, name servers, sendmail, etc. From behind a static (ideal)
> or dynamic IP under NetBSD?

Rich,

Static, certainly.  After all, waddaya think www.netbsd.org runs?

Dynamic, kinda sorta.  I wouldn't recommend it to a guy who keeps ip
addresses in his hip pocket.  But there are (some free) services out
there that will map your address into their domain, and there are ways
to update their DNS automatically when your dynamic ip address
changes.

> I know I can use NAT for local
> IPs, but is there a way to idependently make my class C IPs
> available to the outside world?

No, not if "independently " means "do something magical without my
ISP's help or knowledge to attach  my old addresses to the internet
via their service".  Your ISP has to route your addresses.

HTH.

--jkl