Subject: Re: smpt error -- Can't send long apology
To: None <oinkfreebiker@att.net>
From: Dave Huang <khym@azeotrope.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/19/2001 16:33:34
On Wed, 19 Sep 2001 oinkfreebiker@att.net wrote:
> So...it is going straight out the modem. And no, it ain't
> a Winmodem. On the laptop it is a Linksys modem, the same
> one that Peter Seebach (who sold me the ThinkPad) used
> with success so long before. On the tower it is a
> USRobotics external modem on tty00. Does this not seem to
> imply that it isn't a network problem?

By "network problem", I meant networking in general, not an Ethernet
Local Area Network specifically. A problem using a modem to connect to
the Internet would still be considered a "network problem".

While a lot of info is good, it can also be rather overwhelming, hence
my request for a summary of exactly what's going on. I'll attempt to
summarize, and you can tell me if I'm right or not:

Tower system running NetBSD 1.5.1, with a USR external modem on tty00,
connected via PPP to AT&T Worldnet. You can't send emails larger than
about 2K with either KMail or Netscape Communicator, or even AT&T's
webmail system.

So what happens with emails smaller than 2K? Does web browsing seem to
work fine? Can you post your PPP configuration file(s)?