Subject: Re: PC keyboard support without video - is it possible?
To: Peter C. Wallace <pcw@mesanet.com>
From: Jeff Rizzo <riz@boogers.sf.ca.us>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/19/2001 14:01:35
On Wed, Sep 19, 2001 at 12:58:04PM -0700, Peter C. Wallace wrote:
> 	Is it possible to use the PC keyboard in a (embedded i386) system
> without video hardware? Looks like the only PC keyboard support is part of
> wscons which wont work (causes a kernel panic) if no video hardware is
> present.
>
> This is needed to support debug (PC) keyboard where normal console is just
> serial port accessed LCD/keypad

Caveat:  I haven't actually *tried* this, so it may not work.

Have you tried commenting out the "wsdisplay" lines in the kernel config,
while leaving in the "wskbd"? (Also comment out the 'vga' lines)

I know I had something working at one point, but that was before wscons
was in the kernel (back around the 1.3 days) so I don't know if
it would still work.  I've run keyboard-input systems, but they had
unused video hardware as well, so I don't know if that helps.

+j
--
Jeff Rizzo                                         http://boogers.sf.ca.us/~riz