Subject: Re: smpt error -- Can't send long apology
To: None <oinkfreebiker@att.net>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/19/2001 12:00:05
On Wed, 19 Sep 2001 oinkfreebiker@att.net wrote:

> So I couldn't send the file from KMail. And I couldn't
> cut and paste the laboriously gathered file into
> Communicator. What a drag to have to copy that file to a
> floppy and carry it over to my smirking Win98 box.

I know there are more than 100 different mail clients and several mail
transfer agents that sucessfully run under NetBSD. I send emails every day
larger than 2 KB from my NetBSD systems; and numerous organizations runs
perfectly stable mail servers under NetBSD (which handle mail of a variety
of sizes).

How are you trying to cut-and-paste in Communicator? Did you try selecting
the text and then "middle-clicking" into the message box?

Did you try using Communicator's tool for sending attachments?

No one can help you until you help yourself; you need to do some basic
troubleshooting of your problems.

Try using the command line tools mail(1) and sendmail(8).

 jot -s '' 1000 | mail -s "2894 characters" your@email.address

 (echo "Subject: 2001 characters" ; echo ; jot  -s '' -b 'x' 2000 ) | \
 /usr/sbin/sendmail your@email.address

 (echo -n "Subject: " ; wc -c your-apology-letter ; echo ; \
 cat your-apology-email ) | /usr/sbin/sendmail your@email.address

Do you receive any messages from this?

Then look at your mail logs in /var/log/maillog. What do they say about
this?

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.reedmedia.net/