Subject: Re: Network Cards Hassles.
To: Lloyd Lowe <lloydl@cat.co.za>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/19/2001 10:58:29
On Wed, 19 Sep 2001, Lloyd Lowe wrote:

> have created a file ifconfig.rtk0 and this has been placed in the /etc
> dir with the appropriate IP and Netmask. This file for some reason
> under NetBSD is not starting but if i run "ifconfig rtk0 inet (IP)

This file does not run. It is a configuration file that is used by NetBSD
at boot time (by default).

> netmask (SUBNET) it works. This is not the only problem, The gateway
> isn't being automatically setup either. I have to run "route add
> defualt (IP)". this seems like a global problem but where can i start.

You can set the default gateway in either of these ways:
- simply place the IP in a /etc/mygate file; or
- set the defaultroute variable in your /etc/rc.conf file to the IP (or
  hostname of the your default gateway.

Again, this is also used by /etc/rc.d/network at boot time.

For more info, be sure to have a look at the rc.conf manual page; also be
sure to read some of the installation directions from the NetBSD website.

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.reedmedia.net/