Subject: Re: Audio with EnsoniqPCI (NetBSD 1.5.1)
To: Richard L Dery <dickdery@teleport.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/19/2001 07:58:43
On Tue, 18 Sep 2001, Richard L Dery wrote:

>  I have a Creative Labs' EnsoniquePCI sound card in my trusty old multiOS
> P166. When I run xmcd I can see the timer running so I know the CD is being
> detected.
> I have used xmixer(xmix?) and xmmixer(xmmix?). and have the 'master' and
> "CD' controls set to maximum volume. The same is true for the volume control
> on xmcd. I know the connections are good because I use xmcd under Debian
> Linux on the same machine.The  libcdaudio package is also installed. The
> /dev/audio* files are ugo+rw.

The graphical mixers that use the ossaudio emulation layer don't
always map the controls reasonably, depending on the device. (Some of
the audio devices have more lines and controls than can be represented
with ossaudio -- that's a fundamental failing of ossaudio). Try using
"mixerctl" to fiddle the knobs, e.g.: "mixerctl -w inputs.cd=255".

Once you know what works, you can add the settings to your ~/.xsession
file. I have this in mine...

# Set up mixer/volume controls
#
if [ -h /dev/mixer ]; then
  mixerctl -w inputs.cd=255,255
  mixerctl -w inputs.dac=216,216
  mixerctl -w outputs.master=240,240
fi

so I can share between hosts that don't all do audio. Adjust to taste.

Frederick