Subject: Re: smpt error -- Can't send long apology
To: Gan Uesli Starling <oinkfreebiker@att.net>
From: Dave Huang <khym@azeotrope.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/19/2001 00:16:36
On Wed, 19 Sep 2001, Gan Uesli Starling wrote:
> I have often sent long emails on Netscape on Win98. Twelve years ago, on my
> 7.14 MHz Commodore Amiga with 5MB RAM on a 2400 Baud modem I used to send
> long emails via Compuserve. I don't understand how 2k chars can be a limit on
> my 700 MHz Celeron with 256K RAM and 56K modem unless it must have something
> to do with the OS.

No offense, but if you're a newbie as you say you are, you probably
shouldn't be making a diagnosis... it's like going to the doctor and
telling him, "Well, I don't know much about medicine, but I must have
pneumococcal digitalgia." :)

Seeing that plenty of NetBSD users, including myself, have no problem
sending long emails, it's very unlikely that it's the OS.

You mention problems with slow ftp transfers, which as noted by others,
are probably caused by a duplex mismatch. Have you fixed that yet? It
sounds like you have a network problem of some sort, but it's hard to
tell what your setup is--you give little pieces of info spread across a
bunch of different emails, and it's hard to get the big picture.

Perhaps you could summarize exactly what your setup is... what version
of NetBSD, what sort of system, how is it connected to the Internet? You
mention a 56K modem in this message, but ethernet in another message;
does the system in question have both a modem and ethernet? Are you
connecting to the Internet through the modem that's directly attached,
or through another machine that's doing some sort of Internet connection
sharing? What error does KMail give you? The same error that you've been
reporting before from your ThinkPad about "a SMTP error occured."/
"Command: <body>"?

Basically, stick to one problem at a time, and send a self-contained
message describing the problem :)
INet: khym@azeotrope.org |  they raise a paw / the bat, the cat /
Dahan: Hani G Y+C 25 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++