Subject: Re: How broken is Gnome on NetBSD? - re-edited
To: None <oinkfreebiker@att.net>
From: Peter Mancuso <unishell@hotmail.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/18/2001 15:12:51
First off....Jeremy Reed.....I could not agree with you more about
everything you said.....please excuse the flames from my arse  :)

oinkfreebiker@att.net wrote >

>Is Gnome broken too on NetBSD?

No, Neither is KDE. I have KDE 2 and Gnome running on various machines
(i386, alpha) versions 1.4-1.51, installed from both binaries and source,
and working completely fine with no app crashes!! You’re better off to
install binaries. Get all your packages only from ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD,
you can find 3 stacked iso images of i386 binaries....furthermore as jeremy
said kde is not advertised as being flawless...and there are many other mail
clients...as this is not an issue of the OS

>I do not care to waste my time like that again. I don't
>have that much time to waste.

Who does have time to waste? Did you learn anything about unix? (probably
not)then yes it was a waste of time....learning while you hack is never a
waste...

>If it happens to any such
>extent again, I will abandon NetBSD -- and fully document
>the extent of my deep and abiding frustration on the Web.
>It will then be my pleasure to maintain a link in my
>email signatures to that doc for at least a year.

Is that a threat? lol

>I will go to that extent only because I feel that the
>advertisements for the package system on NetBSD have
>deliberatly led me into wasting time and effort to that
>degree.

Hmmm…advertising  about netbsd?…...are you sure you didn’t read some
advertising on linux instead?  …in the developers arena, netbsd in the OS
with the least amount of hype …yet its in  wide spread use and praised by
many....good hype or a good product?

>I've got NetBSD installed on four separate machines. One
>more week of this fruitless effort will be all it takes
>to get me to wipe NetBSD completely off one of them and
>put on FreeBSD instead.

freebsd is best(easiest) for i386 since its only ported to one
platform.....one of the reasons I prefer netbsd is because I can hopefully
port it to my fridge one day ;)

>If not, then I'll try linux on that machine, with
>like consequences.

Linux can be even worse with KDE and Gnome some times! netbsd builds much
cleaner, ask anyone who has used both...

>If all fails, then I will just resign myself to Win2K

Would you like 540 free hours of AOL with that Sir?
‘sure’.....kaching...thank you come again…

....’man what a piece of crap!’

>It seems to me at this present
>moment that Microsoft has nothing to fear.

Not as long as there are people like you in the world ;)

really....there is no single operating system to fill everyones
needs....just find the one right for your needs.....I love NetBSD and Linux,
and am happy with he results I have gotten....and sometimes the spending
hours to get something to work isn’t so bad to those of us who see NetBSD as
a work of art ;)

peace
pete
out